Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12511 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Be interesting to see what effect your TT supply has on the figures for Garrards or Lencos Nick.
Nick
Site Admin

#12512 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:39 am Be interesting to see what effect your TT supply has on the figures for Garrards or Lencos Nick.
Hmm, if any, as I think its more a noise/distortion thing with the supply. But as you say should be easy to try.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#12513 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

wow!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#12514 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Interesting gadget, what to do if it tells you that your tt is going round at the wrong speed with high wow and flutter though :D

Time to break out the hammer!
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#12515 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

what to do if it tells you that your tt is going round at the wrong speed with high wow and flutter though
Either fix it or buy a better TT.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#12516 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Dave should rent one of those meters out, I'd happily pay £15 or so for weeks use
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#12517 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:20 pm
Ray P wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:41 pm
jack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:42 am Doing a clear out. Discovered a Sony MZ-R55 MiniDisc player and a bunch of discs... 5 new and sealed, 8 lightly used.

Is there any interest in these?

Seems to work fine but I no longer have the rechargable battery (it'd be dead anyway) and can't find the mains adapter, but it works fine off the external battery box... (the mains adapter is available on eBay etc.)
I have a colleague at work who's a MiniDisc afficianado - he's back tomorrow so I'll ask if he's interested - what are you looking to get for them?
Ta! Probably around the 100 quid mark - that's what they seem to go for with manual & discs etc.
OK, I'll give him a call in the morning.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12518 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

What’s wrong with the strobe disc for checking the speed. On rim drives you can adjust it on the speed, belt drives are a more tricky situation if it’s an synchronous motor.
Ant
Shed dweller

#12519 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

The wow and flutter measurements would be pretty enlightening, i think that would be the main usp of the thing rather than the speed measurement

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12520 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

The thing you can do nothing about wow and flutter in most cases... I think this is one for the audio-nervosa. Just another thing to “hear” in your system that extra 0.00% of variation. However it would be interesting to know what the difference is on Marks Hyperspace between belt and rim drive.
Nick
Site Admin

#12521 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

What’s wrong with the strobe disc for checking the speed.
Often now finding a light source that’s flashing at 50Hz is hard to find. But the main point for me is it should allow me to measure wow and flutter and get rotation information that’s not limited by the test disks accuracy, and on tables without a arm fitted.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12522 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I read an article about a Cornish cheese manufacturer having problems, so I decided to purchase some Cornish blue cheese from them.

Seems their web site has since been inundated with customers, the power of publicity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56012219
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12523 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

If it’s just rotational speed you’re after, there’s an app called RPM that will do the job, just put your phone on the platter. It’ll also show variation over time.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12524 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:50 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:39 am Be interesting to see what effect your TT supply has on the figures for Garrards or Lencos Nick.
Hmm, if any, as I think its more a noise/distortion thing with the supply. But as you say should be easy to try.
Would it not have some effect on W and F? I’d have thought a cleaner running motor would improve these figures?
Ant
Shed dweller

#12525 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

On anything with a 'drive surface', i.e belt or idler, the engineering tolerances of those surfaces and the bearing would probably have more of an effect, ive found on the decks ive restored over the years that wow especially can be difficult to remove if bearings are even slightly worn. The motor can be perfect, but if the bearing is worn and the bushes are out of round by a fraction, or the drive surface is slightly out of true (im looking at you 401), it will 'grab' once or twice per rotation which results in lumpy speed and exaggerated wow. A healthy motor and high rotational mass cant always compensate for a dodgy bearing, mucky drive surface, shagged out belt or oval shaped idler wheel. Ive come across this alot on idler drives and belt drives, but never audibly on a dd that was working and turning though. Belt drives are relatively easy to sort, idlers somewhat more work to sort. The better the initial tolerances are, the better the figures will be.
Weakest link in the chain and all that