Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13411 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm Not that Impressed with those amp cases.
Agreed, not a very inspired piece of design.

I wouldn't mind his workshop though.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13412 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ray P wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 pm

It's pretty bog standard for a small commercial shop.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13413 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm

It's pretty bog standard for a small commercial shop.
Yes, but nothing bog standard compared to the facilities I've got though.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13414 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I have found, on many occasions, and with various trades, that the quality of workmanship is often inversely proportional to the tidy state of the workshop. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#13415 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by izzy wizzy »

If the cases for my stuff was anywhere near as good. I'd be chuffed. I like the look with the round corners. Count me as impressed but then I like woodworking vids.
steve s
Shed dweller

#13416 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:58 pm perhaps Castle Howard would suit us better.
Today's motorcycle ride will more then likely take us to castle Howard
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#13417 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

I wonder if thats his workshop, isn't he Manchester based ?
I wouldn't mind hearing one of his amps, he has a good reputation.
But they are too tall in my view.

It would be really interesting to hear one at one of our meets ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#13418 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

That amp chassis could have been half the depth it is, the builder of them obviously built them to the sizes the customer wanted though
Basically exactly the way i did the two chassis for daves 300b monos apart from the templates he used for the top and rear panels as daves panels were folded to make the top and rear one piece.
The one thing i dont like which is something of a trend with timber plinths and chassis these days is the shiny shiny shiny finishes
You get a really nice natural material then make it look unnatural by shinifying it with clear coat so it looks like the plastic wood in an old rover. It baffles me.
The biggest pain in the arse is marking up the holes for the threaded inserts, any slight angle on the marking tool offsets the mark and the insert can then be a bit misaligned.
Especially when the holes in the plate are countersunk. I made a little tool on the lathe that sat on top of the plate and located in the countersink on daves plates to make sure the marks were in the centre. Hole down the middle of the tool for a pin, tap the pin and it marks the centre.

A fairly simple job for the guy, but well executed.
Wish i had access to the machines he does. And the space to acclimatise the timber and and and......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13419 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

The thickness of the timber used is so he could put those big radii on the corners, is wasteful . Those corners are the weak points., need bracing internally. When I did a couple of chassis’s a few years back I kerfed the corners and steam bent them, as the client wanted continuation of the wood grain from side to side. That was a PITA job, which I wouldn’t do again. From his workshop I would like his belt sander, but I haven’t the room. Shiny finishes aren’t a trend in furniture, as matt 2k coats are common place. Not sure his spraying booth was HSE compliant, especially if someone came out the ladies. Getting a good finish is expensive either in time or equipment, as a wet back spray booths are pricy. Morels won’t even sell you 2K lacquers without a safety certificate these days.

The horns I am finishing off for Ian have taken 2.5 ltrs of oil so far, same matt finish with lacquer would have been done in 2 hrs.
Michael L
Old Hand

#13420 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

I was very impressed by the cases though I agree with Ant on the glossy finish. Would rather have a matt finish. It would have been interesting to see the subsequent stages of construction.
Nick
Site Admin

#13421 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Looks simple enough, Cap coupled, tent labs heaters/
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-11-02 11-12-35.png
Screenshot from 2021-11-02 11-12-35.png (117.99 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#13422 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Ant wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:39 am Wish i had access to the machines he does. And the space to acclimatise the timber and and and......
+1

I haven't had a good night's sleep since I closed the workshop and sold my big bandsaw....so, 2 weeks a go I bought a new bandsaw, more modest but I have yet to put some wheels on it so I can get it out of the way....claustrophobia!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13423 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

When I had to sort out my parents estate my inherited Wadkin bandsaw went, I bought a small “delta” style cast iron framed one, it’s great for cutting fire wood, upto 300mm in diameter, bugger all use for proper woodworking - even after re-tiring it and getting better guides it won’t re-saw anything accurately enough to be of use. The wadkin resawed without any issues even with a narrow blade. However it would have dominated my garage workshop - not something you could put wheels on - it was a very useful machine :( alas not mine anymore.
Michael L
Old Hand

#13424 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

Nick wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 am Looks simple enough, Cap coupled, tent labs heaters/
I thought the amps would use transformer inter-stage coupling. Am I mistaken in believing they perform better?
Nick
Site Admin

#13425 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:39 pm
Nick wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:20 am Looks simple enough, Cap coupled, tent labs heaters/
I thought the amps would use transformer inter-stage coupling. Am I mistaken in believing they perform better?
Define better and I will get back to you.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.