G2 voltage spec

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#31 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by simon »

JamesD wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:34 pm I'll bet on GM70 copper plate, GK-71 triode connected, GM70 graphite...

Just to be different.... I really like the GK-71 triode connected - its a bargin and still seems readily available..
I haven't tried GK-71 but much prefer copper GM70 to graphite :-). I've only gone up to 550V HT though. The coppers have a lovely open treble for me, graphites are a bit agricultural in comparison. But the graphite bass is really nice, funkay!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Snigger. In my youth I went to around 1100 volts but eas far too worried to relax into a good listen. 5 or 600 volts is fine right now.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
JamesD
Old Hand

#33 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by JamesD »

Sorry thats triggered me...

In my youth, I played at trains:
Now all steam is gone
In my dreams, brief shelter from the rain
I try to catch the fireglow....

Peter Hammill - (No More) The Submariner

I love that song :-)
Paul Barker

#34 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:44 pm
JamesD wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:34 pm I'll bet on GM70 copper plate, GK-71 triode connected, GM70 graphite...

Just to be different.... I really like the GK-71 triode connected - its a bargin and still seems readily available..
I haven't tried GK-71 but much prefer copper GM70 to graphite :-). I've only gone up to 550V HT though. The coppers have a lovely open treble for me, graphites are a bit agricultural in comparison. But the graphite bass is really nice, funkay!
thanks, yours siunded great that day I was there!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#35 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:06 pm Snigger. In my youth I went to around 1100 volts but eas far too worried to relax into a good listen. 5 or 600 volts is fine right now.
thanks
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
andrew Ivimey

#36 Re: G2 voltage spec

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That's deep James (sorry) but I liked it.

My gm70 set up is in the front room ( west wing) I'm saving the covers for a rainy day bit I'm intrigued by iron!!!!

Those 6s45r valves... aren't they tungsten or summat?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.